Sunday, October 30, 2011

DIY Last Minute Elegant Halloween Pumpkin Decorations

Hello again!  I am usually not much of a procrastinator, but this year, I am only putting up my Halloween decorations today!  Sad, I know :-).  In my case, it is because I did not expect to be home this year for Halloween, and so I figured I would save the hassle of getting things out of their tubs.  Well, I wanted something special and unique, to celebrate our first Halloween in our new house, and so I decided to decorate pumpkins (though not the traditional way!).

I saw a picture of these about two months ago on Pinterest, and they have stuck with me in the back of my mind ever since!  Very simple, very elegant, decorations for the fall season!


Materials Needed:


Pumpkin.  I preferred the look of a classic white pumpkin, as opposed to the traditional orange.  Also, as I love reusing decorations, I purchased my pumpkins at Michael's (they are also at Joann's and Hobby Lobby), going with a plastic/styrofoam pumpkin that I can put out next year, instead of a live pumpkin.



Panty Hose.  I used a lacy embroidered print, that I purchased on clearance at Target.  My package was a size medium, which I found a little difficult to get over the larger pumpkin, but I think was just fine.  One package will work for quite a few pumpkins:  I only used one leg on the two pumpkins you see, and still had plenty left over for a smaller pumpkin, and then the whole other leg.




Ribbon, Scissors, Rubber-band and a twist tie.  I chose a simple black organza ribbon, about 3/4 inch wide.

Cut the leg off of the torso of the panty hose.  I would suggest, depending on the size of your pumpkin, that you cut as high as you can.  This will allow you the most usable material, so that you can make as many pumpkins as you want.


Stick your pumpkin in the panty hose leg.  You have a lot of freedom with this:  depending on the size of the pumpkin, you can choose where to place it!  I would suggest putting your biggest pumpkin in the thigh area, which has more threads and elasticity, than trying to squeeze it in the foot area of the hose.


Rubber-band the top, tightly.  This part can be a little tricky:  you want to rubber-band it tightly enough that the hose do not slip out, but not so tight that the tension causes it to slip upwards off of the pumpkin stem.  I wrapped mine rather tight, and smooshed a little of the hose upwards so as to relieve the tension trying to pull it loose on the pumpkin.  I hope that made sense...


Twist and knot the bottom.  Simply twist the hose at the base of the pumpkin, and either pull it through on itself and knot it (which I didn't do because I didn't want my pumpkin sitting lopsided, but, if you have room in the base, that would be easiest), or tie a twist tie around it.




Trim the remaining panty-hose.  Simply cut off the loose end, as close as you can while leaving enough that it won't slip off.


Tie your ribbon, and voila!  Pretty self explanatory :-)!


Now you have your own halloween decorations, with a personal flair!  The whole project, for two pumpkins (which I got on sale), was about $15.  Good luck, and let me see your success stories!  As always, if you have any corrections/better ways to do things, let me know!



Yours in Beauty and Love,
Marijke

No comments:

Post a Comment